Welcome to sorting__hat, a livejournal.com sorting community! In this community, you'll have the chance to be sorted by other LJ users/Harry Potter fans. You must apply to be accepted. After you've been sorted, you join our main community at sortinghat_main; also, please join your house's common room - you will be given a link when you are officially stamped.
Please read the rules and fill out the proper application!! Please keep in mind that you must be 13 years of age or older to join (these are Livejournal's rules).
1. Fill out the application and paste it in sorting__hat. Use an LJ-cut tag. If you don't know how, go here and learn how.
2. Please respond to questions in applications using full sentences and the best possible grammar. I'm not going to hunt you down if you're not perfect in grammar and such, but try not to type poorly or LiKE thIs, yO or Like This Because It Gets Annoying. That gets on everyone's nerves!
3. You must include the code word "pumpkin" in your subject or LJ-cut tag so that I can tell that you've read the rules. Anyone who neglects to do this can, and most likely will, be squibbed by members if they so chose; sorting will go on until your application has 20 votes or has been there for a week, then the Headmistress will stamp and refer you to your new house.
4. You can be Squibed for the following reasons: Failing to use the code word, failing to follow any of these rules, excessive or obvious pushing for a particular house. Bashing any of the houses will not help your cause either. Members can choose not to Squib you for these reasons, but they are more than able and allowed to.
5. Members of the community will vote by commenting on your application. After one week of voting or 20 votes you will be "stamped" by the Headmistress and will be given access to your house common room. You will also be given access to post in the main journal. If the members feel your application is poorly done or unacceptable, they will dub you a Squib and you will not be admitted into any part of the community. However, being the kind-hearted spirits that we are, we're willing to give the squibs ONE more chance. In a week, you can re-apply with a better application. If you are still dubbed a Squib, then your Squib-dom sticks and it's bye-bye birdy to you.
6. Please don't vote until you've been sorted, thanks!
7. You may not edit your application after the first vote. You may only edit grammatical/spelling errors after the first vote, but nothing that would change the meaning of certain questions.
8. The Headmistress reserves the right to deny any application that does not follow the rules. This includes lack of elaboration, the magic word, bolding of questions and the lj cut.
9. The Headmistress reserves the right to override any sorting she feels is grossly incorrect. If she feels a person is being sorted incorrectly she can override the majority vote and place the applicant where she feels they will fit in best. If the applicant has a problem with this they can either take it up with her or wait to go through the appeals process.
11. Sorting is not final. Two weeks after being stamped you can appeal your sorting. Please ask the Headmistress for more details.
12. No one whose LJ is less than a month old will be allowed to apply. You may complain to the Headmistress if you like, but it will probably only get you an explanation.
13. A selection of example applications can be found here.
Please bold all questions and use an LJ-Cut. You can't be sorted until you've done both.
Here, it’s made easy for you!
1. Please be respectful to others. Also, try to keep vulgar language to a minimum. Respect includes sorting applicants. Blatantly rude comments posted on any application will be deleted without warning. The Headmistress encourages you to share your opinions in a dignified manner. This rule does not change if you are voting Squib. They still hold the right to re-apply. The first time one of your comments is deleted, I (the Headmistress) will give you a warning, the second time will result in a major dock of points which I'm sure your house will not appreciate, and if you continue to make rude comments you will be expelled.
2. Place large entries partially or fully under an LJ-cut.
3. The maintainer holds the right to ban, cut, kick out, etc. any member at any time. The following are obvious offenses you should not commit: spamming of non-HP related things, disregarding of the rules, and disrespecting of other members, and posting anything other than an application in the sorting journal.
4. Do not leave comments on applications unless you are voting.
5. If you are applying to the community, there is a possibility members will vote Squib. If you are Squibb-ed you have the chance to reapply, but ONLY after the Headmistress officially stamps you, and then you must wait a week.
6. Applicants are not allowed to delete votes or comments on their application. We will know if you did it, so don't.
Headmistress: Jill polkadotsquared Hello all...I'm your Head and I tend to pop in and out with interesting challenges and questions for you all. I still don't think I'm the best person to be your Head, however, I am reliably informed by many that they love me and I do my job well, and since I enjoy it I'll continue. Here at sorting__hat I like to think of us as a family, and I love getting to know all of you and keeping up to date with you all. I'll answer any and all questions, no matter if you think they're stupid or pointless...my email is always there (polkadotsquared at livejournal.com), or you could AIM me at squaredotpolka.
Deputy Headmistress: Cyn cyn_ful Hi all! In case we haven't figured it out, I'm Cyn. I am the deputy head that likes to harass and beg and plead for drabbles, one-shots, fanart, or anything of the sort. Please feel free to message me if you have a problem aim: cynfulrose
Official Caretaker Pet Goldfish: Nathaniel ganimede Hello everyone! I am Nathaniel, Pet Goldfish to the lovely Cyn and Jill. I can award points and set challenges as well as looking after the communities and students. I'm the one you can come to if you've got any problems or concerns that you don't want to take to a Headly-type of person. It's quite a responsibility! I'm online every night so feel free to get in touch with me. I'm on AIM as GanimedeUK or you can e-mail me at ganimede at livejournal.com.